Mayonnaise is a favorite food group of mine. While not entirely a meal on its own, a healthy homemade mayonnaise gives you lots of great fats and protein to create an easy meal; add to a sandwich made of leftovers, some cabbage for a quick slaw, or pair with an artichoke, etc. I realize not everyone shares my love of this condiment, but if you do, I have a fabulous & easy 4 ingredient recipe for you! It is modified from the Restart Cookbook which you can find on Amazon.com. Enjoy!
3/4-1 cup avocado oil
1 egg (a large (but not jumbo) one from a pastured hen is awesome)
1 TBS lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
2 tsp dijon mustard
- Add the egg, lemon juice, and dijon to a food processor (before turning it on)
- Fill a clean pourable measuring cup with 1 cup of avocado oil
- Add the lid to the food processor and switch it on, and immediately begin drizzling the avocado oil in the food processor through the top opening. You’ll see the mayo come together (between 3/4 and 1 cup of oil), when it it resembles the consistency of cake batter it has enough oil. Add any remaining oil back to the avocado oil bottle.
- Remove the food processor lid and season with salt & pepper, use the pulse setting to mix in the s&p, or just use your spatula
- Fill a container of your choice and refrigerate. It will set-up and become more like the consistency of store bought mayo in a few hours. Or you can dive in, it tastes great right away.
NOTE: This mayo can last up to 1 week in the refrigerator.